As I read Conley's chapter 7 and reflect on it I have realized that I have learned a lot through my experience in clinical, and that this chapter goes along with what I discussed with my clinical teacher today. MOTIVATION! As I sat in her class while the students were paired together to read their AR books, Ms. E. told me that this was her least favorite part of her job but that the "powers that be" (and I quote) insist that the students read in pairs. There was so much noise I do not even know how the students were even able to concentrate. Ms. E. said that she does this once every couple of months just so that they will be happy. You may be wondering how I am relating this to motivation...well Ms. E. and I started talking about the book Twilight and I asked her why she chose to read that book? She said that there were a few girls that had read the book and loved it, so over Christmas break she went out and bought a copy just to see what it was all about. She was hooked! She could not just stop at the first book. Ms. E. said that when her students were in the 3rd/4th/5th grade the teachers focus was on reading, reading, reading and putting grades in a book. That it did not matter if the student was interested in the book or not they just needed to read as many books as possible. Ms. E. brought in the book Twilight hoping to get the students motivated to read. And it really worked! Even the boys are hooked on the books! (I must admit I myself am hooked and in the process of finishing the last book!)
Although Ms. E. has been a teacher for a couple of years, she did admit that she used to be an avid AR teacher. When she realized that she was actually not motivating the students to read but rather forcing them just so that they could have the grade she changed her method. Ms. E. has read different books that would capture the students interest and have brought them into the class. She has motivated them to read and I was very impressed at how hungry most all of the students (in my class it seemed)were to read. They would discuss what they read with such interest and excitement that it amazed me. These SIXTH GRADERS actually LIKE to read!
Conley talks about several key factors for building motivation among students and I do believe that Ms. E. has done a wonderful job fulfilling these factors.
Key Factors
*Be caring and Passionate!
*Work with interesting content (Twilight)
*Present the content in interesting ways
*Emphasize Prediction (Twilight-what the students though would happen to Bella)
*Set realistically High expectations for students (getting them excited about the book so that they would continue reading the books on their own time.)
*Provide regular feedback and timely praise (because Ms. E. has read the books she is able to discuss with the students what is going on in them. Their excitement is contagious!)
*Promote Possible Selves
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
AHHH I LOVE the Twilight series books...I just hope she decided to write another one. I was a little shocked when I heard that these 6th graders were reading that book, but I can see how it would be motivating! I couldn't put them down! However, they aren't going to be able to always read something as interesting as Twighlight, she is going to have to find ways to motivate them to read other content as well. Hopefully she will up to the challenge. My question for you is how would you motivate your students to read another book, say something like The Life of Mark Twain, after reading something like Twighlight?
ReplyDeleteYour teacher did an excellent thing to motivate students to read. However, what would she do if she wasn't able to do that? How would you handle being mandated what you could and could not teach? For example, schools using direct instruction have to abide by what is to be taught that day. Then how do you motivate? It becomes much more difficult task for the teaher as well as for the students.
ReplyDeleteAt first when I started reading the Twilight books I was shocked that 6th graders were reading them. But then I realized that 6th graders now know WAY MORE than I did when I was their age. Just by sitting in the classroom and listening to the students conversations their knowledge of thing (sexual and not) just blew me away.
ReplyDeleteI do think that there is a way to pull most students into what they are reading if you take the time to really make it interesting. When I was younger I had to read the Little House on the Prairie. Well my teacher let us make bread like they did and we got to dress up like the characters in the book. It was actually kind of fun. If a teacher can bring in interesting things to go along with a VERY boring book that will help! (or that is how I feel at least!) Thanks for the comment Roxanna!!
Katie I did consider that! When I talked to Ms. E. I told her that I did not think that teachers could change up the cirriculum. She told me that she talked to the board and they said as long as the students grades did not drop she could try it. She said so far the students grades have actually increased. I would hope that whatever school I do end up at would be willing to try anything at least once just to get the students to read. But if not then I would find a way to make those very boring AR readers interesting! Thanks for the Post!
ReplyDelete