The only type of boards that I have personally used is the active boards. (this was at Petal) It is kind of like a smart board but it does not have all of the features a smart board has. We used the active board to help the students with their math, reading, and English. The teacher would pull up the students 'read and correct' page and the students would give the answers on how to correct the sentences, such as the beginning word of the sentence needs to be capitalized, and the correct punctuation. When we used it for math the active board was basically used like a white board but the math sheet was already posted so the teacher did not have to write each question out. I did enjoy using it but I would like to learn more ways to use it. All of the 'classes' that we have had here a Southern have been rushed and there really has not been enough time to really comprehend HOW it works and WHAT all it can do. Although I did not get to see how the teacher used it with the other subjects because we were only there one day a week.
I would like to use a smart board in my classroom to give the students a more in depth knowledge of what they are learning. **Example-if we are studying about Africa show the students africam.com. I would use it to incorporate technology (web sites) into the classroom. Because I know little about what all they actually can do I am not sure what else besides power points that they can do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know it is very important to motivation children to read. I know the basal readers are not inspiring for any students and even worse for older students. However, I would have a definite problem with my sixth grader reading a book like the one they are reading in your classroom. Also, even if some students are interested in a book, other students may dislike the subject and be even less motivated than they would be by the usual books used in the classroom. This is a dilemma without a perfect answer. It is nearly impossible to decide on one book that will spark motivation in 20+ students. Some students will perform well regardless of the subject matter they are assigned to read. Others will not become engaged no matter what the teacher tries to do. So, you are left with the remaining students that you actually have the potential to motivate. What do you do? Only cater to their interests? You cannot do that and be fair to the whole class. It is a never-ending battle of choices. All we can do as educators is determine what texts will reach the most students in the most positive way and do our best to make the texts come alive for the majority of the class.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you are getting a meaninful experience in the classroom. I think it is great that your teacher is connecting with the students in a way that they can relate to the content. Your teacher has listened to what the students like and was able to connect on a personal level with the students in her classroom. I think that this is extremely important in this day and age. Several students need the connection to their prior knowledge and motivation and enthusiasm from their teacher.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love the Twilight series!!